Lovecraft / Doré / Ernst Mashup Illustrations

I just wandered across these illustrations for H.P. Lovecraft's literally awesome story At the Mountains of Madness from what I believe was a 1936 issue of Astounding Stories. Besides looking a little like Matt Diffee's New Yorker cartoons, they also reminded me of Gustave Doré's illustrations for Dante's Inferno. If no one does it soon I'm going to add making a collaged together Doré illustrated Lovecraft à la Ernst's Une Semaine de Bonté to my list of neverending art-projects!







Doré's illustrations of Dante and Virgil at the Gates of Hell:

2 comments:

... said...

hi sorry for all the comments i'm bored at work and just catching up on yr blog. are you an ernst fan? if so i would emphatically and unconditionally recommend one of my favorite books of all time, "birthday" by dorothea tanning. it's an autobiography, but it gives such a rich context to his life since the two of them were so enmeshed philosophically and artistically (not to mention psychologically). her writing is an unexpected delight - she was such a tremendous talent too!! -g

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.